Friday, April 10, 2009

Entry #13: Shift. Coltrane on my mind.

Shift. Nudge. Outlier. Outsider. Conundrum. Paradox. Paradigm. These are some of my favorite words.

They say we live in a world in flux. Whitewater change. The only steady state is constant change. There's so much noise and chatter and information unleashed. So much is knowable. Data is king. Information is knowledge.

I heard a magazine editor declare the other day that it is not about accuracy but speed. Information fast so what if it's wrong, unreliable, incorrect. Speed to eyes is all that matters.
This info drenched world is perfect for me. I thrive on information. The more input the better. Google is god.

But I also crave quiet reflection to chew on digest assess what I've read heard seen and draw my own distinctions conclusions connections.

They say the ability to be adaptable flexible go with the flow is the key to success in these times. Maybe but I think zagging when everyone else zigs is a better approach.

Those who know me will recognize this as my willful stubbornness unwilling to acknowledge authority deliberately obdurate just because it's oppositional. Yeah, so?

While everyone is running headlong after the pack with blinders on crying about the falling sky, I think I will step back and riff on the paradox; use the time wisely waiting out the craziness plotting my next dream.

It is a conundrum that there's so much info but nobody knows anything. Powerful smart leaders of all stripes and colors nudge us this way and that while watching or not the outside outliers to sketch in the boundaries. They manipulate our paradigms to madden our perceptions while relying on our inability to shift.

Shift people. If it is one thing, it must be the other. When it is nothing, it is all things considered. Watch for the they for they are the we. Nothing is new everday a new sun.

1 comment: